Q & A
copyright Laura MacGregor, 1999PAC2 October 3, 1999
Using TV Commericals to Teach Language and Culture
* This presentation focuses on the use of TV commercials to explore
culture and cultural differences.
Why use TV commercials?
1. Looking at commercials in the target culture is effective in three ways: First, to learn about surface culture, in the form of observable behaviors, lifestyle, customs, etc.
Second, it is effective in giving an opportunity to learn about deeper (or “invisible”) aspects of culture values, and beliefs.
Third, by using English media, vocabulary and expressions in English can be presented in context. Further, the discussions about culture should be conducted in English.
2. Looking at commercials in the home culture challenges students to analyze their own culture from many aspects and to talk about their culture in English.
3. Putting the two together, comparing commercials of the target culture with commercials of the home culture is a good way to observe cultural differences - from the content of the CMs we can identify similar and dissimilar aspects of lifestyle, values, and beliefs.
4. Looking at the approach that the advertisers in different countries take, we can learn about the culture of advertising and marketing.
Why Use TV CMs vs. Other Media?